> St George's
Bermuda's nine Parishes were originally called Tribes. They usually were named after the largest shareholder in that particular 'share' of the Bermuda Company.
In 90% of the cases it was Elizabethan aristrocrats, many of whom considered themselves 'Gentlemen Adventurers' and never even visited Bermuda.
All nine Parishes are exactly equal in size: 2.0355 square miles.
The Map to the left was compiled by Richard Norwood in 1622. The division into Tribes was recorded for the first time and later published by John Speed in 1626.